What is Granite?
Granite is an igneous rock, which means that at one time during its development, it was melted like volcanic lava. Unlike lava, however, this melted rock never reached the surface. It remained underground, where it slowly cooled and crystallized, resulting in a unique patterned stone that runs the gamut of the entire spectrum of color.
Polished granite is a very durable stone. Granite has been used in the past in the commercial industry. Some of the obvious applications have been exterior building panels, interior walls, and “high-traffic” floor areas. Granite will withstand almost any element it comes up against including heat and cold.
What is Summit Granite USA?
Summit Granite is a direct importer, wholesaler, fabricator and installer of some of the finest natural stone products available anywhere in the world. We bring outstanding product, quality and timely installation direct to consumers at extraordinarily competitive prices. While being able to offer the entire spectrum of granite available in the Milwaukee and Madison markets. We also provide exceptional value to our clients by offering a diverse spectrum of direct imported colors.
Why should I use granite rather than one of new synthetics or manmade materials available?
You should choose granite because even the finest synthetics can’t match natural stone’s beautiful range of colors and textures, versatility, durability, depth, and lasting value.
Can I use my kitchen knives directly on the granite surface or will it scratch?
Granite is one of the hardest materials on earth, ranking close to that of quartz and diamonds. You will not scratch the countertop using an ordinary kitchen knife; however, you will ruin the knife. Generally it is not advisable to use granite as a cutting board. There are some specialty knives with diamond chip or tungsten blades on the market, which can scratch granite as well.
Will granite chip or burn?
Granite will not burn. Under normal circumstances, granite will not chip or crack either. It would require excessive impact to chip a granite surface. If you were to chip the surface, you can repair it with a granite stone dust and epoxy filler.
Will granite stain?
Despite what you may have heard or read elsewhere, granite will stain if it does not receive proper care and protection. After testing numerous stone sealers, we have selected the very best and seal your countertops before they are installed. Should the surface become stained before sealing, several applications of a poultice powder cleaner will remove the stain.
How do I clean my granite countertop?
Polished granite should receive cleaning care, using a mild phosphate-free, biodegradable liquid dish-soap, soap flakes or powders which contain no aromatics, followed by thorough rinsing and drying with cotton-flannel or chamois.
How often should I seal my granite?
We suggest that you seal your granite countertops once a year. Sealing your granite helps it resist staining, absorption, and discoloration. Sealers are readily available at major home centers and, by following the included instructions, will go a long way to maintaining the beauty and shine of your countertop.
If I supply my own sink, does it have to be a certain dimension?
Yes, for under mount sinks we ask that for a Kitchen Sink the sink be no bigger than 18 inches from front to back. This ensures the granite will have proper support and prevent it from breaking along the front or back edges. For a bathroom vanity that is 21” deep, the maximum bowl opening is 14 1/2”. Drop-in sinks do not have to be certain dimensions because they sit on the countertop.
Will my countertop have seam?
It is possible depending on the layout of the job that your project may have seams. Our experienced fabricators will determine the best and safest way to produce your counter top.
What should I do on measure day?
- When we are replacing existing counter tops, and no modifications are occurring to your existing cabinets, please have everything cleared off of your existing countertops so we can take accurate measurements.
- If you are remodeling your kitchen and including new cabinets, please have cabinets set and level, spaces noted for appliances and all overhangs clearly noted. All support brackets should also be installed and leveled at this time.
- If you are providing your own under mount sink, we will need to pick up the paper or cardboard template at the field measure.
What should I do on installation day
- Should we be removing your existing counter tops please have everything cleared off them on the day of install. If you are removing your existing counter tops please have this done the day before we come to install your new counter tops. Also, have all your plumbing disconnected prior to our crew’s arrival.
- If you are remodeling your kitchen and including new cabinets, please have all cabinets set and level.
- If you are not using one of our stainless steel under mount sinks please have your sink on site when we come to install your counter top so that we may attach it to the granite.
- Please have your faucet on site so that we may drill holes for it on installation day.
- Kindly have everything cleared out of the cabinet where the sink will be installed and the top row of drawers removed.
- Please make sure someone in your household is home while the we complete the install in case any questions arise.